Charging light remains blue even when not charging?

Hi all,

My son and I managed to get Marty up and running quite easy and are now experimenting with programming. After a charge cycle, I noticed Marty's charging light keeps burning. I disconnected the battery for a while and reconnect it again, and voila: the charging light goes on. I don't read anything of this in manuals, has anyone encountered this?

Regards, Martijn

Discussion

Leave a comment and join the discussion here

Please Log In or Sign Up to write a comment response

6 Responses

sandy STAFF

Hi again,

That last message sounds like it might be fairly normal behaviour. The charging circuit will take the battery to 8.4 max, but it'll only activate if the battery voltage is around 8 volts or lower - there's a bit of fuzz on the threshold.

If the battery is disconnected while the charging cable is plugged in, the charger will try and provide current to the circuit itself (this is not recommended though!). The blue charging light will come on - it'll often just flash as it'll turn on and then detect something is fishy before turning off again.

Still not sure why the light would stay on with the cable disconnected though...

Sandy

19:21:06, 02nd September 2017  *   |   Permalink   |   View Source
jointeffort OP

It keeps getting stranger... I 'measured' the voltage using Scratch: 8.06. So I decided to give him a charge. After 15 minutes the cell went from 8.03 to 8.10V (measured with a multimeter), so the charger seems to work. However, when I connected the cell AND the charger again, the charging LED is off.... :-( and it tuns on when I disconnect the cell but leave the charger in place. Board and cell seems not overheated.

18:50:27, 02nd September 2017   |   Permalink   |   View Source
jointeffort OP
17:34:44, 02nd September 2017   |   Permalink   |   View Source
sandy STAFF

Hi again,

If the charging cable is disconnected then the charging light should be off - I'm not aware of ever seeing the charging light on with the cable disconnected. I've plugged in a couple of Martys for charging round here to try and replicate it...

Sandy

17:28:14, 02nd September 2017   |   Permalink   |   View Source
jointeffort OP

Hi Sandy,

Thanks for your quick response. I'm definitely sure it is not the WiFi, Marty is turned off... I just double checked, it is the charging LED.

17:09:54, 02nd September 2017   |   Permalink   |   View Source
sandy STAFF

Hi Martijn,

Great to hear you've got your Marty up and running, and I hope programming is going well!

I'm hoping that the blue light you're seeing is actually the one on the WiFi module - it's a little confusing but there are two blue LEDs on the control board:

Assuming it's the WiFi one, it's normal for it to be on or flashing during operation. We will look at changing the colour of the charging one for future Martys!

Sandy

17:04:22, 02nd September 2017  *   |   Permalink   |   View Source