Battery charging

I've bought my Marty a pet robot cat and was thinking about using Marty's battery for the cat to reduce expenditure, avoid pointless accumulation of batteries and to not have any 14500s as these things look very easy to mistake for AA.

Some questions came up about how it charges which made me wonder how that works. There's something about balanced charging with multi-cell LiPos which sounds like an attempt to either reduce risk or to individually charge each cell. How does this work with Marty's 2-cell battery which only has two connections? Does Marty adopt a conservative approach to charging to reduce risk here? Is the battery pack you use carefully cell matched at the factory?

The discussion on this is in the recent (11-Feb-2019 onwards) comments on: https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/nybble-world-s-cutest-open-source-robotic-kitten#/comments

Discussion

Leave a comment and join the discussion here

Please Log In or Sign Up to write a comment response

1 Responses

sandy STAFF

Hello,

Sorry for the delayed reply!

Marty's battery is indeed a carefully factory matched 2-cell, and there is a control PCB inside which monitors the battery and provides some essential safeties including short circuit protection and low-voltage cutout.

I haven't had a chance to have a detailed look at the electronics for Nybble yet, although it does look very cool! I would think that Marty's battery will be able to provide enough power for it - if the current gets too spiky it may trip the short circuit protection, but the size and number of motors are similar to Marty so it may well be fine. No easy way to tell without trying it!

Sandy

12:03:02, 26th March 2019   |   Permalink   |   View Source