Direct Connect Beta Test Feedback

We're testing a new feature that lets you control Marty directly through the Marty Setup network, rather than using an external WiFi network, it's called Direct Connect.

From the app you can now remote control and calibrate Marty without needing to connect to a WiFi network, and if you load up this version of the Scratch interface, you can then switch to your Marty's Setup wifi network and program it directly.

The blog post online here has a lot more info on how Direct Connect works, and we'd like all feedback either here or by e-mailing hello@robotical.io

Discussion

Leave a comment and join the discussion here

Please Log In or Sign Up to write a comment response

3 Responses

Pete

This is just what I've been waiting for. No problems running this in a Chrome browser on a Macbook Air. Connection was lost after a long sleep of the laptop but connection returned on turning Marty on and off. Will experiment on windows laptops next week. Minor issue with the useful "Heads up" notice - with a reduced size stage the message hides some of the blocks you need to make the message close. Could this possibly float so it could be moved out of the way? The icing on the cake will be the release of the complete offline version then my use of Marty can really take off. Do you have a timescale for this? Thanks for all you've done so far.

11:09:10, 21st September 2018   |   Permalink   |   View Source
angus STAFF

Hi @Imagios - thanks for the feedback! We're actually looking into config-over-USB-cable as a future option... This direct connect actually works with all existing Martys, back to the original IndieGogo ones from last year. Still, we're taking a lot of time at the moment to look at how we handle WiFi connection and configuration and we're pretty confident that we'll have some big improvements to show off later in the year

If you've had frequent issues with switching around networks, we'd be happy to hear from you what they are so we can try and address them - obviously we end up switching networks to demo Martys a lot, but perhaps we're used to our own quirks?!

17:54:41, 07th September 2018   |   Permalink   |   View Source
Imagios

Hi There, its a great idea, I always struggle to present Marty when I take him somewhere, at home on my network he always works, but I had so many issues on other networks. Will try this steps, but can't you just compile a update to Martys firmware? Or find a way to connect via cable even if it would be USB to IO? Thanks Daniel

17:49:36, 07th September 2018   |   Permalink   |   View Source